Ellen von Geyso
Our founder, Ellen von Geyso, was born in Hamburg, Germany, has studied law in Germany and the U.S., and is admitted to practice law in Germany and Florida.
She has been counseling foreign individuals and corporations with their immigration needs and related corporate matters since 1998. In addition, she assists German clients in the application process for Beibehaltungsgenehmigungen and Wiedereinbürgerungen, and provides them with advice on German business immigration law.
Ms. von Geyso worked previously as an immigration attorney at the Miami office of an international law firm; prior to that she was as an associate in the Immigration Practice Group of one of Florida’s largest Law Firms.
- Panelist “How to boost you transnational practice”, IGLP Worldwide Reunion, University of Miami, School of Law, Florida, March 2012.
- Ellen von Geyso has given numerous presentations on US Immigration Law.
- University of Miami School of Law, Florida, Juris Doctor, 1998
- University of Miami School of Law, Florida, LL.M. in Comparative Law, 1996
- Zweites juristische Staatsexamen (German Bar Exam), Germany, 1995
- Hamburg University, Hamburg Law School, Erstes juristisches Staatsexamen (German J.D.), Germany, 1992
- “The First Line of Defense“ (zusammen mit Detlev Stoffels) Paderborn, Strafverteidiger Forum, Oktober 2015, Heft 10, S. 409ff.
- “Germany: Dual Citizenship & Foreign Clients”, AILA Global Migration Digest, Vol. 1 Issue 4, Dezember 2012
- “Your Client has a Foreign Conviction. What now ?”, by Terrence Ayala and Ellen von Geyso from AILA’s VOICE 22 (November/December 2012 Edition)
- “Nonimmigrant business Visa”, American German Business Guide and Membership Directory of the American Chamber of Commerce in Germany e.V., Yearbook 2011, p. 102 und 103
- “Buy a House in the U.S., you may get a Visa”, GABC, Inc. Newsletter, Winter 2011
- “Neues zur Einwanderung”, Florida Sun Magazine, Sommer 2010
- “Immigration News: Fees Increase”, GABC, Inc. Newsletter, Winter 2010
- “Visum im Schnellverfahren”, Florida Sun Magazin, October 2008
- “Changes for the Visa Waiver Program: Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)”, GABC, Inc. Newsletter, Summer 2008 and German American Chamber of Commerce South Newsletter, Summer 2008
- “O-Visum, unterschätzen Sie sich nicht”, Florida Sun Magazin, Summer 2008
- “Backlog in Naturalization Applications”, GABC, Inc. Newsletter, Spring 2008
- “INS Proposes New Limits on the Lengths Of Visas”, DAJV Newsletter 2/2002
- “Das Blatt hat sich gewendet, Die USA schauen bei Ausländern genauer hin”, FRANKFURTER ALLGEMEINE ZEITUNG, April 2, 2002 (cited)
- “Der schwierige Schritt in die USA – Hamburgerin Ellen von Geyso: Spezialistin für Einwanderungsrecht in Florida”, DIE WELT, January 30, 2002
- “Schwachstellen im amerikanischen Einwanderungsrecht”, DAJV Newsletter 1/2002
- “Visas in the fast lane – premium processing service”, Florida World, 1/2002
- “Expected changes in U.S. Immigration Law”, GABC, Inc. Newsletter, Fall 2001
- “Locken und Blocken”, HANDELSBLATT, 25.8.2000
- “H-1B Visa: An option for you?” Florida World, 2/2001
- “The O-Visa”, Florida World, 3/2001
- “Marriage to a U.S. Citizen”, Florida World, 4/2001
- “Der Fall Elian”, DAJV Newsletter, 2/2000, p. 37
- Bar Association of Hamburg, Germany
- Deutscher Anwaltsverein, Germany
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- German American Business Chamber (GABC), SE Chapter, Miami, FL — Director
- Altlouisenlunder Bund e.V.
- Former Director, Swiss American Chamber of Commerce, Inc. (Miami Chapter)
- Florida (1998)
- Germany (1995)
- Working knowledge of Spanish